Monday, May 14, 2012

Here's health to the underdog...

Pastor? Pastor who? What church does he belong to?
Oh, I see, Pastor is his given name. And you tell me his full name is Pastor Maldonado.
And he's a Formula One racing driver, you say?
The Venezuelan raced in Catalunya, Spain, at the weekend?
Against top names like Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Kimi Raikkonen, etc?
He had a 300 to one chance of taking the chequered flag?
But, but, you mean HE actually took the Spanish Grand Prix?
Wow, what an underdog's story! I love it. So here it is...

http://www.todayonline.com/Sports/EDC120514-0000044/Maldonado-bags-historic-win-in-Catalunya

Maldonado bags historic win in Catalunya
Venezuelan gives Williams their first victory since 2004
(TODAY (14 May 14)

Pastor Maldonado grabbed an astonishing first Formula 1 victory yesterday [13 May] in a Spanish Grand Prix thriller that handed former champions Williams their first triumph in 132 races and nearly eight years.

The first Venezuelan driver to stand on the F1 podium, let alone win, Maldonado became the fifth different winner from five races won by five different teams -- a phenomenon only ever seen before in 1983.

A 300-1 outsider before the weekend, Maldonado delivered Williams' first win since Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya in Brazil in October 2004.

"Very good job, guys," was all he said over the radio as his team mates erupted in celebrations, but Maldonado made up for it on the podium as Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen lifted him on their shoulders.

Spain's double champion Alonso finished second, 3.1 seconds behind, to move level with Red Bull's world champion Sebastian Vettel on points at the top of the drivers' championship. Finland's 2007 champion Raikkonen was third... Vettel, who finished sixth, and Alonso each have 61 points, with Hamilton on 53.

-------------------------------------------------

I'll always root for the underdog, as this pic I have already used attests...

There's even an ode to the underdog -- penned in 1859 by someone who used the name David Barker! -- from the link below which also explores the possible origins of the terms "top dog" and "underdog":

The Under Dog In The Fight

I know that the world, the great big world,
From the peasant up to the king,
Has a different tale from the tale I tell,
And a different song to sing.
But for me -- and I care not a single fig
If they say I am wrong or right wrong,
I shall always go for the weaker dog,
For the under dog in the fight.
I know that the world, that the great big world,
Will never a moment stop.
To see which dog may be in the fault,
But will shout for the dog on top.
But for me I shall never pause to ask
Which dog may be in the right
For my heart will hear, while it beats at all.
For the under dog in the fight.
Perchance what I've said I had better not said,
Or 'there better I had said it incog.
But with my heart and with glass filled up to the brim
Here's health to the bottom dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment