Saturday, May 14, 2011

The broken record technique

It seems that the so-called "broken record" technique can work in situations where you have to be assertive (and/or when you want to wear the other side down)!
One person who believes in it, Alan Fairweather, self-described as a "motivational doctor", recently wrote an article about this technique in ST's Recruit page (13 May, page C32). Here is his personal experience (I think he's a Brit; for simplicity, I have changed the pound currency he used to dollars):
I recently bought a small number of items at my local supermarket. When the lady at the checkout asked me for $8, I handed over a $20 note. She handed me two $1 coins.
I said: 'I gave you a $20 note, so I need another $10 please.'
She replied: 'Are you sure? I think it was $10.'
'No, it was a $20 note, so I need another $10 please.'
I was under a certain amount of pressure because there was a queue behind me and people had their shopping on the belt.
The checkout lady said: 'I would need to get a supervisor to come and check this and these people would have to move to another till (more pressure).
I said: 'It would be good if you could get a supervisor because I gave you a $20 note, so I need another $10 please.'
The supervisor arrived and she explained how the till couldn't be opened. I repeated my request using the same words in a calm and relaxed tone.
The supervisor said: 'We'll check the till at the end of the day and if it's $10 over, we will contact you. Can you give me your phone number please?'
I replied: 'I understand why you would want to do that. However, I have just given this lady $20 and she has given me change of $2, so I need another $10 please.'
Eventually the supervisor instructed the checkout assistant to open the till and give me my $10. She added: 'We will still need your address and phone number.'
I said: 'No problem, here are my details.' I never heard anything again from this supermarket.
Postscript: This posting is dedicated to my nephew Tan Beng. He will know why.

1 comment:

  1. If it was CTB - he would have received a $20 shopping voucher in the mail as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete