Sunday, May 1, 2011

My brother Tee Chuan

My eldest brother died in a Kuala Lumpur hospital late tonight, from complications after cancer surgery. He had a lung embolism. The news came late, around midnight. He was truly the caring big brother to No 7 in a brood of seven children.

Above all,  he had a zest for life and a great -- and impish -- sense of humour. He was in my cast of "literalitis" cases in my second blog posting (1 Nov 2010). Here's the extract:

"I know of someone else,  who when he was a young [naval] officer,
had a sudden seizure of literalitis. It all started when, in the process
of writing up a dress code for formal functions, a project officer had
written "trousers, optional" when he had meant "trousers, gold
lace optional". The brave young officer turned up at the next formal dinner
graced by the top brass -- in his uniform top only (and underwear of course).

"He avoided being court-martialled only because he had a copy of the dress
code manual with him."

I will miss you, Tee Chuan, but I know you are in Heaven this day on.

[I won't be blogging for the next few days.]

1 comment: