Thursday, November 4, 2010

A word from Obama first...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11692885

Word of the Day: Shellacking

This word was used by United States President Barack Obama yesterday to describe the "sound defeat" or "thrashing" that his Democratic Party suffered at the hands of the Republican Party in this week's US mid-term elections.

I was not the only one who noticed this unusual word; the BBC did too (see hyperlink above).

Ok, I will try to let go of the US elections, now that they are over.

I will, from time to time, use this space to recall jokes (broadly defined) I have collected since I heard my first one. The problem is I can't remember when or what was that first joke, who told it, or how old I was then!

What I can remember is the first joke my wife (then my girlfriend) told me. It goes like this:

Chief Sitting Bull was very upset. His unmarried daughter, Wild Flower, was now, er, very round you know where. He felt scandalised and also, still did not know who "he" was!

As the great tribal chief was morosely smoking his pipe in his wigwam, Wild Flower came in. "How," she greeted  him apprehensively.

"I know how," he roared. "I want to know who".

Stay tuned, as I dig into my brain cells for jokes from the high-brow to low-class ones to the definitely corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment