Sunday, March 6, 2011

Psalm 23, an interesting pick-up line, and 'general-ly speaking, just wait, ah!'

Like many Christians, I've always been comforted by the 23rd Psalm. The hymn version is also a familiar favourite. In church today, I heard a lovely variation, "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" which introduces the Cross in the 4th stanza (line 4). Here are the lyrics:

The King of Love My Shepherd Is

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/k/i/kinglove.htm

The King of love my Shepherd is
Whose goodness faileth never
I nothing lack if I am His
And He is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow
My ransomed soul He leadeth
And, where the verdant pastures grow
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed
But yet in love He sought me
And on His shoulder gently laid
And home rejoicing brought me.

In death's dark vale I fear no ill
With Thee, dear Lord, beside me
Thy rod and staff my comfort still
Thy Cross before to guide me.

Thou spreadst a table in my sight
Thine unction grace bestoweth
And, oh, what transport of delight
From Thy pure chalice floweth!

And so through  all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise
Within Thy house forever.

Words: Henry W. Baker
Music: John Rutter

------------------------------------------------

Last week, I posted here a letter to The Sunday Times from a Ms Queenie Campbell who bemoaned the lack of chivalry among Singaporean men. One male reader, Alan Ng, rose to the occasion in today's Sunday Times. He was cheeky to boot. Here's what he penned:

"I refer to Ms Queenie Campbell's letter last Sunday ('Where 's the chivalry, men?'). As a man, I apologise for the unpleasant encounter she and her sister had in Sim Lim Square.

But it would be unfair of her to pass judgment on all men here just because of a few bad encounters.

I am sure there were positive experiences too. If there were none, I would only be too happy to ask Ms Campbell out on a date. I would hold the door open for her, pull out her chair at the dinner table, walk on the side of the pavement nearer to traffic -- just like how my parents taught me."

Wah, this man oo kar si (as opposed to boh kar si). Go for it, ma'am! [Hmmm... maybe The Sunday Times should act as go-between? Watch this space?].

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last item here is a follow-up to my "general" election posting yesterday.

Thanks, Nick, for pointing out that the Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts was a two-star Rear Admiral. I stand corrected.

And the "general speculation" with regard to the buzz over Major-General Chan Chun Sing, who retires from his job as Chief of Army on March 25 at only the age of 41, after one year in the job, is unbated. As reported in today's Sunday Times, when quizzed by reporters as to whether the PAP's lineup would include the general, the PM would only say: "We'll see." The general consensus among pundits is that, yes, the stars are in alignment for this man. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment