Friday, March 4, 2011

Signs that say the darndest things

My usual Friday "short" posting. First, I forgot to include the item below yesterday, when I was watching "Point of Entry" on Channel 5 (which I do not usually do)...

The Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) team stakes out a building where suspected drug traffickers are holed up. The team secures the area and moves in. There is mayhem, scuffles, the works.

One baddie manages to run out to a parked motorcycle. The chase inside the building had earlier shown a couple of CNB men almost catching him. They seemed near enough.

But, for some strange reason, they are nowhere around as the baddie emerges, gets on his motorbike, starts the engine, and... now get this, he has time enough to put his helmet on, adjust the strap, is happy with it, and only then does he zip off!

And only then do we see the two CNB heroes running outside, in time to see the tailsmoke of the bike. Sheesh, talk about suspension of disbelief.

Okay, some signs for a laugh:

"Lighting controlled by motion sensor" -- yes, that's what it says on the outside of the toilet doors in my office (Toa Payoh North). So, the toilet stays dark if one goes inside only to pee?

"Classified staff only" -- Many years ago, when my office was in Times House, Kim Seng Road, this was the sign in big print outside one door. It led to the office of the Classified Ads people.

"The water is safe to drink. It has been passed by the Minister of the Environment" -- this was sent to me by my brother Tee Chuan. He swears it is a sign next to a drinking fountain at Shanghai Airport.

"No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash" -- a signboard in Belvedere, California. Sent to me by my friend Nicholas.

"Do not feed or molest alligators. $500 fine. Florida Statute 372.667" -- from the Internet.

I'll probably churn out more wacky signs in future postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment