Sunday, September 4, 2011

Knock, knock...

TCB went on his "thank you" rounds yesterday, atop an open-roof bus. Many people turned up along his route. It's touching... I wonder if any of the other three Tans has done that? I don't recall.

As reported in today's Sunday Times: "As the bus drove past, motorists tooted their [car] horns while passers-by waved and made 'thumbs-up' signs."

One woman even flashed a placard that said: "Our No. 8 president: Our support for you is built through three generations." (The new president, TT, is No. 7. TCB, who runs a medical general practitioner's clinic in Jurong, is the family doctor to the woman's extended family.)

True to his new-found Tan-minator image, TCB said, "I'll be back" and told reporters he has not ruled out contesting in the next presidential election, which is six years' time.

---------------------------------------------------------

The rest of today's posting is strictly wacky, just 100 per cent spoof with no offence meant to anyone.

I woke up from a nap with this Knock, knock series in my head:

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Cheng.
Cheng who?
Me not Cheng Hoo, man. Me Cheng Bock, independent!

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Cheng.
Cheng Bock?
Right. I said "I'll be back."

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Cheng.
Cheng Bock? Again?
Nope. Cheng Hoo.

Okay, it's corny, I know. A friend has this equally corny one:

It seems the Istana is changing the telephone system's ring-tone, after 12 years of the same one.

Last one... I wondered if I had a "universal" presidential joke, one applicable in many countries. The closest I could think of is this one, for which I now can't remember what was the target country, in which time period, and who was its head of state:

There was this country that decided to issue postage stamps to honour its president. His facecut was on the stamps which proved enormously popular, so much so that all such stamps were sold out the very first day. A later reprint saw the same result.

But what was strange was that none of the stamps was ever used (at least as intended)!

There is of course the punchline, but I'll leave it as a blank for you to fill in. It's a cop-out, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment