Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ads: The good, the bad, and the amusing.

I'm still putting the spotlight on ads that I've noticed. There are good ads, some of which I have posted here now and then.

The Good

This is a UOB Bank ad. It is refreshing because most ads will tout "free gift/s" bundled with the purchase of so and so product/s. Think about it... there is no such thing as a free gift. Even if you are given something without having to make a purchase, it is still just a gift, period. Kudos to UOB Bank (actually, its ad agency, I guess) for resisting the temptation.

Engineers have been the butt of jokes for lacking in a sense of humour. I beg to disagree (although I have put up jokes about them). I like this "madcap" ad here...


Vacuum cleaner ads can be creatively done too, as seen in this example...


The bad

But one famous Swedish vacuum-cleaner maker received brickbats when this ad -- whether intentionally sexually suggestive or otherwise -- appeared...


This last "bad ad" is a real howler. My daughter Liane spotted it in her friend's Facebook page:


The amusing

I suppose the ad above would qualify for this category too. Here are a few others, although none is a double entendre...


This one is strictly not an ad, since it is the packaging for a brand of kitchen wipes. But don't you think these folks here are such decent people, even when they declare war on germs? Next...


We're not talking niggling itches here. We're talking itches here, itches there, itches everywhere!


The only missing pain in this new year is the pain of an empty wallet, after disbursing ang pow packets here, there and everywhere. As they say, "Do you feel the pain?"


A holiday trip to North Korea... exotic, for sure! But for a while, I got worried about the one-way train journey, followed by the one-way flight. Er, will we end up in Hotel California, Pyongyang-style, with lifetime meals consisting of kimchi? Silly me, I had glanced over "international flight" and "Shenyang", which is in China.


This one, above, has to do with my literalitis syndrome flaring up again. How do you liquidate carpets? By "massively reducing" them until they, poof!, disappear?


A bit macabre, this last one. How do you qualify to be a "master hanger"? And is his clothesline business a sideline, or is it the other way around? Whatever, in this case, give a man enough rope and... he'll make a business out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment