Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Always be curious...

I referred to persimmons in yesterday's blog entry. I love the fruit and as far as I know, Singapore only imports the Israeli produce (Sharon brand) and the yucky, tasteless Korean variety (who cares about the brand).

That's why -- tongue in cheek -- I worried more about not getting my Sharon persimmon fix than any fresh global instability erupting if the current sabre-rattling between Israel and Iran tips over into a hot war.

I think sanity will prevail, though. But, still, I did get a stockpile:



Meanwhile, curious to learn more about this fruit that I had never eaten fresh in my childhood (apart from the preserved variety sold in Chinese provision shops and which is used in cheng tng dessert), I went on the Net and found this interesting YouTube video clip. Not only does the persimmon have health-giving properties, it is a versatile fruit (the dogs love it too) and it can be used in curry dishes too! Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IzvMK_wLk&feature=related

--------------------------------------------

My curiosity and over-imaginative mind also led me to become piqued by this movie title:


Again, I did a check, and found out more about the movie's storyline... not telling here, but it has nothing to do with toilet humour. Still, I'm not passing up on the chance to have a "gas" by way of juxtaposition (below), using a short but interesting Mind Your Body article I had filed away in my trivia collection (note the little bubble about how many times we fart a day):


Speaking of bubbles, I also had this headline filed away for occasions like this!...


I am not sure if it is idiomatically correct to say a bubble is "losing air". The usual phrasing is the "bubble has burst". But if I were to render "losing air" into Hokkien, it becomes "pang hong" which is a euphemism for farting.

------------------------------------------------------------

Last piece of "toilet humour" here... the latest Occupy is "Occupy Men's Toilets" and it's happening in Guangzhou, China!

Gender equality starts... in the toilet (ST, 22 Feb, page A24)

Female college students in Guangzhou held an Occupy Men's Toilets protest this week, demanding more cubicles for women, the Guangzhou Daily said.

A group of college girls stormed a male toilet in Guangzhou's Yuexiu Park on Monday in the name of gender equality and shorter waiting times for female toilets.The students carried signs saying "Greater 'convenience' for women, greater equality between the sexes".

[The organiser, a Ms Li, said the plan is to next occupy the toilet halls of power in Beijing. Way to go, Ms Li! Start a new Loo-ng March. It should be a peaceful event, of course.]

1 comment:

  1. Persimmons... reminds me of the time my family and I were at the Edo Museum in Tokyo in 2010. We had stopped at a cart selling Japanese fried noodles, when the vendor offered us a wild persimmon from a tree in the museum. It was honey sweet and refreshing. Amazing thing, taste memories

    ReplyDelete