Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Toilet (s)training, Singapore-style...

There is a Restroom Association of Singapore (RAS), and it has the commendable aim of promoting a "happy toilet" experience. I like its logo:


So, are the toilets in its premises known as RAS-rooms? It has a website:

http://www.toilet.org.sg/

I found it flushed with interesting headers such as "Happy Toilet Programme" (we aim to please, so please aim?), "Preschool/School Programmes" (that's good, toilet training has to be a matter of continuing education), "Spot our star-rated toilets now!" (um, let's keep them spotless, really), a host of toilet-themed YouTube videos such as what qualifies to be a "five-star toilet", and the LOO awards:


 That's right... LOO is Let's Observe Ourselves. (I suppose "observe" here is an exhortation to all loo-users not to be aimless.)

I should declare that, although my tone here is light-hearted, I agree with the RAS that "pee-er pressure" should be kept up so that people will treat public toilets like those in their own homes, unless they live in a pigsty. So, to answer the teaser in the New Paper poster below, yes, we should be very concerned about the state of our public loos:


I also learned, from the New Paper story, that there is such a thing as a "modesty board" (I do see these at the urinals which have them, but never knew they have such a quaint label):


Frankly, I have no preference. What I "observe" is my own, and mine only! But, I have to be a true investigative journalist, so here -- for your eyes only -- is an "immodest" row of urinals:


And over here, modesty is restored:


Eagle-eyed now -- loo and behold! -- I spotted these two signs at one mall here:



Um, we can't just walk in? Are we supposed to hold hands and troop in?

I'll "finish up" (flushing sound) with these pics I found online:







Now that you have reached the "end", please off the bathroom light, hor.

1 comment: