Friday, June 8, 2012

Blur like sotong, ah? No lah... like a cloudy posterior capsule.

I was wondering why I was blur like a sotong (literally, not figuratively). I could not comfortably read stuff in print or work on the computer, and the sun's glare hurt.

I finally saw the eye doctor today and he said I needed surgery again, albeit it'll be a quick, outpatient procedure (but one costing me a four-figure sum!). Op date is 7 July, since I am about to go off on a vacation trip from June 13-28 (no blog entries durung that period).

So what was my problem? It happened before, last year -- to my right eye. The membrane, or posterior capsule, had become clouded. This can happen to people who have had cataract surgery. I had cataract surgery for both eyes, and this time it was the turn of the left eye to go blurry. I Googled and this is what I found:

http://eugeneeyecare.com/conditions/posterior_capsulotomy_laser_after_cataract_surgery.html

-------------------------------------------------

Today is actually the second anniversary of cataract-cum-glaucoma surgery on my right eye. The second op -- also cataract-cum-glaucoma -- on my left eye was done a week later. In addition, I now have silicon implants -- punctal plugs -- in my eyes.

Writing up my blog has not been easy these past few days, so I am looking forward to both the rest break during my vacation, and the July 7 operation.

The eye doc also found that my eyesight had worsened a little, and my astigmatism had increased.

To look on the bright side, at least now, while I still need to wear glasses for driving or for reading, these are low-powered ones. I used to look really nerdy with my super-thick glasses. So, this poster I saw at the opticians made me smile...


------------------------------------------------------
Finally, CC has been prolific in sending me stuff. This one is obviously a conservative American joke :

Why I'm depressed
Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the Promised Land to a foreign country!
I was so depressed last night thinking about my retirement, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, etc . . .
I called a Suicide Hotline. I had to press "1" for English. I was then connected to a call center in yet another foreign country.
told the person who answered (in a thick foreign accent) that I was suicidal. He got excited and asked if I could drive a truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment