Monday, December 22, 2014

How to tell a joke (to children).

When I was a child, I found these funny...

Q: What is the world's longest rope?
A: Europe.

Q: If the people of Poland are called Poles, what do you call the people of Holland?
A: Holes.

Then it was the turn of my children. They found jokes like this one funny...

Q: When is a door not a door?
A: When it is ajar.

They later "graduated" to:

Q: What's green and slimy and smells of bacon?
A: Kermit the Frog.

By the time it was the turn of my nephews' and nieces' children, jokes like this one had surfaced...

Q: How do you tell whether a pencil is male or female?
A: If it is a male pencil, it has a rubber!

Which brings me to this article in ST Life! (Dec 22)...


What intrigued me was that people have been trying to figure out what makes kiddies laugh:



I decided to check out the Joking Computer. Talk about corny jokes! Here are some samples listed in phys.org:

* Q: What kind of temperature is a son?
* A: A boy-ling point
* Q: What do you call a shout with a window?
* A: A computer scream
* Q: What do you call a washing machine with a september?
* A: An autumn-atic washer

Read more at: http://phys.org/news179736700.html#jCp

Anyway, I cringed at this bad joke in ST (Dec 22):


Many good jokes (for adults, anyway) have to do with unintended meanings, often with the perpetrator unaware that a faux pas had been committed...





Finally, this one should make adults and today's kiddies laugh...


No comments:

Post a Comment