Friday, February 25, 2011

Are there 2 kinds of people: those who say there are 2 kinds, & those who don't?

Here is a frank and honest quote, from Lynn, a 22-year-old private school student (as reported in ST, 24 Feb, "Students find call of gadgets irresistible", page A6):

"A few years ago, I was at an interview for a part-time job, and there was an alert on my [cell]phone. I took it out, checked the message and replied because that is what I always do. When I looked up, the look on the interviewer's face was priceless... No, I didn't get the job."

And here is a frank and honest observation made by Kevin, an elderly tourist who wrote to the Forum page in the same day's ST (24 Feb, page A31):

 "I am an elderly visitor to Singapore and have been using the MRT to get around. I am from Australia and we are not renowned for our manners or politeness, but at train stations, we do wait for alighting passengers to exit the train before barging in and the reserved seats are mostly left for the elderly and disabled. Not in Singapore, where teenage girls slip in as the train doors open and head straight for the 'reserved seats' and then promptly close their eyes as if asleep. It is sad to see young people growing up with such disregard for the elderly and disabled. Never have I seen anyone give up a seat to an old person here, even the 'reserved seats'. The SMRT should take stronger measures to educate the public better as the few signs in the trains are clearly not working."

So, are these honest remarks representative of today's youth?

No. For every one of the youngsters who turn up for a job interview with such a sloppy attitude, there is surely another who is hungry for a job.

And I do see young people in the trains giving up their seats for the elderly and the disabled. But it is mostly the women or girls who do it! The young men are the most "expert" at pretending to be asleep.

Last point: I see many older folk -- I mean here only those who are still fit or can move unaided -- not setting a good example: they don't queue at bus stops, and they cross busy roads looking the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment