Sunday, February 27, 2011

Do boorish parents beget boorish kids? Kiasu parents beget kiasu kids, etc, etc?

In my posting two days ago, I said I noticed it was the young men who were more likely to not give up their seats to the elderly and the disabled on the trains.

Then this letter, by a Ms Queenie Campbell, appeared in The Sunday Times (27 Feb):

"I have lived overseas for several years, and recently returned to Singapore for a visit. During my four-week stay here, I noticed how unchivalrous some Singaporean men were.

One incident was especially upsetting: I was with my older sister at an information counter in Sim Lim Square to pick up some street maps and a free copy of mypaper. Just as I was about to pick up a copy of the paper, a smartly dressed man came from behind and snatched it.

I was shocked that someone would do that. I calmly told him that I was about to take that copy. He answered rudely: “I thought you didn’t want it.” Yet when I said I wanted it, he flatly refused to hand it to me.

A man from behind the counter eventually handed me another copy.

Now, I am beginning to understand why some Singaporean women are happier to remain single. Where is the chivalry?"

Again, this person, like me, risks overgeneralising in our comments. There are rude people and there are nice people. There is a Hokkien expression "Bo kar si" which blames bad manners on one's parents. I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment