Saturday, April 2, 2011

Group think

The latest Readers' Digest has a joke which is funny, and which I see as a metaphor for group think. Here it is:

Three building workers were about to have their lunch while perched on a steel beam high up on the 20th storey of the uncompleted project. Their feet dangled precariously but these guys are seasoned workers and have no fear of height.

The first guy opened his lunchbox and when he saw what his wife had packed for him,  yelled, "Oh Man, if I get corned beef sandwich again tomorrow, I'll jump off this building."

The second guy opened his lunchbox and sobbed out, "Yucks! Cheese sandwich again! I'm jump tomorrow too if it happens again."

Both looked at the third guy, who slowly opened his lunchbox. "Arrgh! Salami. I hate salami sandwich. I'll join you guys if it's salami sandwich again tomorrow," he proclaimed.

And so, the next day, up on their 20th storey perch, the three men opened  their lunch boxes one by one.

The first man hurtled to his death, screaming, "Nooooooooooooooooo, I hate corned beef". The second did the same, crying out, "This way, I'll never have to eat cheese sandwich again."

The third man took the plunge too, his fist clenched as he shouted out, "I've had it with salami!"

At their joint funerals, the three widows cried inconsolably. "I didn't know he hated corned beef. He never told me," the first widow wailed. "Me too, why didn't he tell me he couldn't stand cheese?" the second widow burst out, with more torrents of tears welling up.

The two women then turned to the third widow. As soon as she could catch a breather between her ululations, she whispered, "Don't look at me. He packed his own lunchbox every workday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment