Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hair today, gone tomorrow... Brylcreem today, none tomorrow

At a press conference that Dr Tony Tan held last Thursday, someone said this about his trademark sleek combed-back hair: "Wah, he must use a lot of Brylcreem!"

Hmm, I always thought he used Tancho. Since no one has put that question to TT, we won't know which.

But it reminded me that when I had much, much more hair -- and jet black, but of course -- I did use Brylcreem (both the red and green container ones, though I now can't recall what was the difference) and I did try the Tancho gel, although I did not like it.

Brylcreem, like so many Baby Boomer-familiar household products that began life in bygone years, was first produced in 1928! There's even a 1998 movie called "The Brylcreem Boys", about British and German pilots interned in neutral Ireland during World War II. Why the title? Brylcreem was THE haircream of choice for dashing RAF pilots then.

Which probably helps explain this old Brylcreem TV jingle, which I found in Wikipedia:

Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya --
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya,
Brylcreem, you'll look so debonair
Brylcreem, the girls will all pursue ya,
They'll love to run their fingers through your hair.

------------------------------------

What can I say about the lyrics above? Hey, I want my money back!

And here's an old Brylcreem ad (also found in Wikipedia... Note the phone: it "(b)rings" back memories too!):


No comments:

Post a Comment