Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Some odds and ends...

Quote of the Day 1 (from New York Times)

"I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign. Because public service is exactly that, it's a service to the public."   PRESIDENT OBAMA, on sex scandal-plagued Democratic Representative Anthony Weiner.
Quote of the Day 2 (from Reuters)

"It was one of those grand prix where you are nowhere and then you are somewhere, then you are nowhere again and then somewhere. Fighting your way through the field is almost as good as winning a race... Amazing day, I don't know what to say. It's definitely my best race... I'll remember it for a long time." McLaren F1 driver Jenson Button, on his Canadian Grand Prix win on Sunday (Montreal time). He had to overcome a collision with teammate Lewis Hamilton, another collision with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, five pit stops, one drive-through penalty, and having to start from the back of the pack! 

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've always wondered whether favourite cartoon strips can be contexted just in words minus the drawings and still capture the humour. Here's goes:

Foxtrot
Jason (to his mom): Check out the giant Lego piece I made out of Legos.
Mom: That's really clever. It's like something you'd show in a modern art gallery...
You could present it as a meta, ironic statement about the futility of humankind's perpetual quest to elevate ourselves beyond our base nature vs societal constructs...
It's brilliant! All it needs now is a good title.
Jason: How about "The first of many pieces for the full-sized Lego star destroyer I want to make?"
Mom: A little too ironic. How about "Brick No 1 in Gray."

Get Fuzzy 1
Satchel (the dog): Do you ever wonder why the sky is blue?
Bucky (the cat): Because it would look stupid orange.
Satchel: But what about yellow, or --
Bucky: Yellow? Annoying.
Satchel: Even green, maybe. My point --
Bucky: Green? Satchel, all the junk down on the ground is green! You wanna paint me green too, tough guy?
Satchel: No, I just mean, like, do you ever wonder about the big stuff?
Bucky: Like elephants,? No.
Satchel: No, I mean like why we are HERE?
Bucky: Because Rob's too cheap to buy a condo!
Satchel: No, like... OK, here's one: Why are we here on this planet?
Bucky: The moon doesn't have snacks, dipnut!
Satchel: But why do we even stay on the ground? Why aren't we floating all over the place?
Bucky: All our stuff is down here, man.
Satchel: You're not very philosophical, are you?
Bucky: No, I'm full-O-knowical, thank you.

Get Fuzzy 2
Rob's dad: Yo, what's going on?
Satchel: Bucky's been trying to beat me up.
Bucky: He offended me.
Rob's dad: How did he offend you?
Satchel: Yeah, how? I didn't say anything to you.
Bucky: Satchel, Satchel... I'm not so close-minded that I require words to be offended.

-------------------------------------------

Finally, here's a pair of tags to my earlier posting on the Doggiestyle Cafe...
*What the owners should never say to a prospective employee: We've got this position just for you.
*What a prospective employee should never say: Is this position still available?     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment