Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Brylcreem moment, a hairy-scary and a case of 'mee-staken' identity

So, it is Brylcreem after all!

In my blog posting on 26 June, I had said: "At a press conference that Dr Tony Tan held... someone said this about his trademark sleek combed-back hair: 'Wah, he must use a lot of Brylcreem!'

"Hmm, I always thought he used Tancho. Since no one has put that question to TT, we won't know which."

But, now, in today's ST (page A43), reporter Robin Chan wrote: "To set the record straight, it is Brylcreem. Dr Tony Tan, 71, has used that hair product for decades for that trademark swept-back look."

Dr Tan's niece, Ms Chew Gek Khim, is also quoted as saying of her uncle: "He has always joked about the thick black spectacle frames that he can no longer buy, or the fact that very few shops now sell Brylcreem."





Ya, man, I too wore thick black spectacles (see my NS-era pic in my 9 Aug posting). And I did use Brylcreem. But I guess that's where any comparison ends.

Still on hirsute matters, here's an Ah Heng "follow instructions" hair joke:

Ah Heng was getting really, really bald. So he went to see a trichologist who recommended a special -- and of course very expensive -- hair lotion. "Remember, each morning, you must squeeze a generous amount  onto both your palms and then rub it on your botak (bald) head for 10 minutes. Do this for one week, and come back again to see me."

One week later, Ah Heng is back. But his head is still shiny bald and he has gloves covering his hands.

"Did you follow my instructions?" the man in the white coat asked Ah Heng, who in a dramatic move then took off his gloves, as he angrily replied:

"[Hokkien expletive cum F-word optional here...] I follow every day, but see what happen. I still botak but now I have to shave all this hair from my palms with a razor blade every day!"

-----------------------------------

Last one... a joke involving a trio of pau (steamed buns) and two noodles. Call it a case of "mee-staken" identity.

Cast of characters

Char Siew Pau (Chinese steamed bun with sweetmeat filling)
Leng Yong Pau (ditto, with lotus seed paste filling)
Tau Sar Pau (ditto, with black bean paste filling)
Mee Kia (thin-string noodle, literally in Hokkien, "child noodle")
Maggi Mee (one of the better known brands of packet instant noodle, all of which have a wavy, permed-like appearance before cooking).

Char Siew Pau and Mee Kia got involved in an argument. Char Siew Pau got
very angry and shouted at Mee Kia, "I'm going to find my gang to hantam (pummel)
you!"

Char Siew Pau went to round up Leng Yong Pau and Tau Sar Pau and off they went in search of Mee Kia.

Just then, Maggi Mee walked round the corner. Immediately, the three Pau started
to beat up the hapless Maggi Mee, thinking they had cornered Mee Kia.

"Don't think just because you perm your hair, we can't recognise you, okay!" Char Siew Pau said.

No comments:

Post a Comment