Saturday, September 29, 2012

An ode to coffee...

International Coffee Day (ICD)

Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven.
~Jessi Lane Adams


I just learnt that today (Sept 29) is ICD. People who know me are aware that coffee is my poison of choice. At home, I have a Nespresso machine, a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine, and a Phillips coffee-brewer.

Somewhere in the bowels of the kitchen is a plunger. And I have had a Krupps coffee bean grinder cum machine, followed by a Saeco model. Both were used to destruction, ie, at some point each went kaput and I found out that it was not worth repairing them, so they were junked.

I have also posted some time ago that I have tried kopi luwak (it uses coffee beans swallowed by civet cats and excreted with their poo). Heavenly!...


But I am no coffee snob. I drink instant coffee, local coffee, gourmet coffee and anything that has coffee beans.

My favourite coffee joke is one I heard as a schoolboy. This is a shortened version..

Two angmohs walk into a kopi tiam. The ah pek assistant approaches them.

"Two black coffees, please," one of the angmohs says.

"Kopi-o, noh," the ah pek shouts out.

"Come on, let's get out. What kind of coffee-shop is this? It doesn't sell coffee!" the first angmoh tells his fellow angmoh.

----------------------------------------------------

So, if you are an angmoh here in Singapore, here's a guide (see also link below, "Coffee shops Kopi codes"):

Kopi: coffee with condensed milk
Kopi-o: coffee without milk
Kopi-c: coffee with evaporated milk
Kopi Peng: coffee with ice
Kopi Po: weak coffee, mixed with more water and less coffee
Kopi Gao: strong coffee, made with more coffee and less water
Kopi Di lo: all coffee no water
Kopi Ga dai: coffee with more sugar
Kopi Siu dai: coffee with less sugar
Kopi Kosong: coffee without sugar
Kopi Sua: two cups of coffee

http://dev.vintedge.com/sgshoppingportal/www/shopping_tips_details.asp?id=20

---------------------------------------------

Are there great/funny coffee quotes? You bet! Take this one below with a pinch of levity:

Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal:
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mochas forever.
~Author Unknown
There's a very, very long listing in this link:

http://www.spillingthebeanschicago.com/quotes

Enjoy your cuppa!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good blog wish more people would read this , you offer some really good suggestions on Kona Coffee Tours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete