Saturday, September 8, 2012

I've been working on the railroad (okay, just standing on the railway tracks)...

A section of the Tanjong Pagar-Johor Baru railway line -- before the tracks were dismantled last year -- used to run just next to my condo. So, now and then, one could hear the train rumbling by. The driver usually sounded the horn too.

The railway system and hence the tracks were under the management of the Malaysian authorities so it could be "argued" that the area around the tracks were "Malaysian territory". When I went brisk-walking in parts of the area, I could easily "cross" into Malaysia and back into Singapore again, in less time than one could say "Malaysia Boleh!". Here's one of the segments in my area:  


It has been a long time since the family took a train ride to Malaysia, from the Tanjong Pagar station of course. Well, the station has been shut now.

But then I read that there would be a "Heritage Weekend" display of classic and vintage cars at the former station. Entry, and parking, was free. A wonderful chance to revisit Tanjong Pagar station, and gawk at the cars of bygone times! Here are some pics of the station and its hall (more pics tomorrow, of the cars)...


  









Poster (above) inside the hall, of a cat on a track!

And, finally, I came to the end of the line (I've been standing on the railroad)...

 
And some old-time music to wrap up...

I've Been Working on the Railroad (The Rooftop Singers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdTxrCJ1mc

No comments:

Post a Comment