Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ode to coffee (Part 2), and a lead-up to Can't Buy Me Love...

I'm not done with my ode to coffee. I found this clipping in my collection:


Oh yes, I remember the bygone days, when the takeaway coffee or tea was poured into an empty condensed milk tin (gong) with a raffia string attached at the top. But, hey, are there still drinks-stalls that keep this practice?

And here's another "kopi code" link:

http://nanyangoldcoffee.com/how-to-order-a-cup-of-singapore-coffee.html

Check out the last two items in the link, "tiao he" (fishing in Hokkien) and "tak giu" (kicking a ball).

Thanks to Lee Huang, here's another interesting code-breaker:


And here's a happy "barista" of the kopi-tarik kind:


This notice about a study on coffee drinkers had me all excited, until...


...I'm not overweight. Ah well, who needs free coffee. And that bit about "infusion procedure (clamp)". They're gonna inject coffee into those human guinea pigs?

-----------------------------------------------

There's a certain court case that everyone -- and I mean every Singaporean plus probably most other residents -- follows with a sense of fascination, as certain details unfold. Certain phrases used during the court proceedings have titillating connotations:

Gag order

I am reminded of this infamous ad:


I suppose a key witness was giving "oral evidence". And I now know that "SP" is not just the initials for Singapore Polytechnic and that "DIY" has become part of the text messaging vocabulary, as in "Do you DIY?"

And what do sub-editors (subs) here -- when not writing punny headlines (heads) -- talk about these days around the water cooler?

A: Hey, what makes a great sub?
B: Must give good heads, lor.
C: Yeah, there are gifted subs... and there are those that suck!

I hope this useful "Singlism" catches on... "How, how, how?"

Examples:
Why so late? How, how, how?
Didn't do your homework? How, how, how?

Finally, I remember that, somewhere along the way, this Beatles hit, Can't Buy Me Love, was mangled in part-Cantonese into "Come, fai-ti ler (Oy)!". Anyway, enjoy the unmangled version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT05Z7b8IPk

No comments:

Post a Comment