Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hey, that's not quite right (Part 2)!

Is this why Singapore's birth-rate has been going down since the '60s?

There was this exhibition at the National Museum of our tumultuous recent history, including the time (1963-1965) when we were a component part of Malaysia...


Among the displays was this strange legend, "Singapore Goes Gay For Malaysia Day"!...


Going to the dogs

This movie is currently being screened:


I get the fuzzy and warm part; a play on the expression "warm-fuzzy", I guess. But furry? Watching this movie makes one more hirsute or, worse, canine-like? (Sorry, Brady and Killer, if I've hurt your feelings.) And why can't we take along a tissue pack? Is this a one-tissue paper tear-jerker? (Alternative phrasing; drop the "the": ie, "...take along tissue paper".)

So, what's my point? I will concede that people make slip-ups in producing material that goes into the public domain. It happens to me often... that's why I recheck my blog entries some time after I have posted them, and correct errors I had not previously spotted. My point then is that checkers need to give any material due for release a careful "once-over" first. This bus-stop poster, below, has a glaring grammatical error:

Which of these five words is out of place?


 I don't need to provide the answer if you know the parts of speech (in this case, the difference between nouns and adjectives).

Why is this bus stopping along slip roads and not at bus-stops?


The story clears up the mystery, but the headline is slipshod. Also, a hyphen will certainly aid in ensuring clarity, ie, "bus-stops".

New news anchor or 'old' (ie, regular) news anchor who's wearing the hijab for the first time?


So, student has a beer mug. Why hit him?


So, that's where they are... the dirty toilets are all in the feedback portal!


The (bite at the) end... now we know, crocodiles do take toilet breaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment