Saturday, July 20, 2013

The ladies of Surabaya...

This recent SIA/Silk Air ad reminded me of the family's first cruise -- so long ago -- to places within Southeast Asia, when the girls were only five and two years old:


I can't remember much now about the sights of Surabaya. But I remember the nonsense limerick I composed on board the ship, the Princess Mahsuri, just prior to its docking in Surabaya port:

Have you met the ladies of Surabaya?
They look pretty in their sarong kebaya
But give them a smile
And they'll run a mile
Shouting "Jangan kachau saya"!

Not bad, huh? [Jangan kachau saya = Please don't bother me/Leave me alone.]

I managed to find online a picture of the Princess Mahsuri, which was operated by Straits Steamship when the family took the cruise:


But back to the SIA/Silk Air ad. What we did not get to see back in that 1980s trip were two of Surabaya's volcanic "ladies", Mount Bromo and Mount Ijen. I think these pics below speak volumes for their awesomeness:

Mount Bromo


Apparently, one has to take a horse ride to get to the still active volcano. And it seems the sunrise from the elevated vantage point is something not to be missed!

Click on the link below to see a pic of "Sunrise in Bromo Mountain", courtesy of National Geographic:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/photo-contest/2013/entries/213418/view/

Mount Ijen


It's an enormous blue/green crater lake, and the yellow sulphur deposits there are mined by the locals.

So I guess my next vacation destination has been decided, especially now that SIA and Silk Air fly to Surabaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment