Friday, June 17, 2011

Sir Winston and George Bernard walk into a bar...

There's this psychology professor at Singapore Management University, Norman Li, who was featured in an ST report, "Money talks when S'pore women say 'I love you' " (Wednesday, 15 June, page A10). I am sure many people would have read this rather interesting interview report.

The part I want to touch on here is a question posed to him and his response. He was asked "How can a guy tell if a girl is interested in him?"

This is his reply: "If a girl laughs at your jokes, she's probably interested. I propose that humour evolved as a way to indicate interest. It's not so much that what you say is extremely funny, but if someone is interested in you, they will think you are funny no matter what you say."

Talk about a sweeping generalisation. The way to a girl's heart is through her funny bone?

Let's put it to the test. We'll use two famous gentlemen, Sir Winston Churchill and philosopher George Bernard Shaw.

Case 1: Sir Winston at a who's who social gathering
Mrs Braddock: You are drunk, Sir Winston, disgustingly drunk.
Sir W: Yes, Mrs Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs Braddock, are ugly and disgustingly fat. By tomorrow morning, I will be sober.
Mrs Braddock: Hahahahahaha! (Norman Li theory confirmed). 
Case 2: Supposed encounter between a young woman and George Bernard Shaw
Woman: Mr Shaw, I want to have your baby. With my beauty and your brains, just think, our child will be a phenomenon.
GB: But my dear girl, suppose the child has my beauty and your brains? 
    
Woman: Hahahahahaha! (Norman Li theory double confirmed).
------------------------------------------
While looking for the Churchill anecdote, I found these other stuff:
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic – Anon.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn’t work that way. So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me – Emo Philips.
If you can’t convince them, confuse them – Harry S. Truman.
Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak – Anon.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes – Jack Handey  (American comedian).
I am easily satisfied with the very best – Winston Churchill.

No comments:

Post a Comment