|ST, June 24|
I think the most important takeaway is not to deny the child his or her right to a normal childhood.
There is no lack of online material on gifted children. These ones below are just two such resources:
Common Characteristics of Gifted Individuals
Characteristics and Behaviours of the Gifted
"Kiasu" Singaporean parents might want to take note of this extract below:
- Einstein was four years old before he could speak and seven before he could read.
- Isaac Newton did poorly in grade school.
- When Thomas Edison was a boy, his teachers told him he was too stupid to learn anything.
- F.W.Woolworth got a job in a dry goods store when he was 21. But his employers would not let him wait on a customer because he "Didn't have enough sense."
- A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had "No good ideas"
- Caruso's music teacher told him "You can't sing, you have no voice at all."
- Leo Tolstoy flunked out of college.
- Wernher Von Braun flunked 9th grade algebra.
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd had been retired from the navy, as, "Unfit for service" Until he flew over both poles.
- Louis Pasteur was rated as mediocre in chemistry when he attended the Royal College
- Abraham Lincoln entered The Black Hawk War as a captain and came out a private
- Fred Waring was once rejected from high school chorus.
- Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade.