Saturday, September 7, 2013

Strange things happen when it floods...

The heavy rains on Thursday morning (Sept 5) led to flooding -- the PUB didn't dare to use its much-ridiculed coinage "ponding" this time -- in several areas, especially western Singapore:



 http://news.insing.com/gallery/flash-floods-hit-singapore-again/id-b02d3101

Netizens, of course, got busy with memes like this (reproduced in the insing.com story above):


One car agent was quick to promote an SUV model for which "ponding" would be a mere "puddle"...


But you'll have to shell out $193,000 just to do that. A cheaper way would be this!...


I actually saw this vehicle, a Toyota Rush, but I was on a bus and had no camera with me (I am hopeless with my phone camera). I managed to get the pic above from Googles' image library.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Floods or no floods, I am always on the lookout for interesting stuff. This "advisory" was spotted inside a shop in a mall:


As for this brand of distilled water (bottled in Indonesia), "Alamo" seems such a strange choice...


Equally strange is the name on this truck... Hen Tick! I certainly would want to have no truck with ticks; neither would my dogs...


Actually, the company deals in frozen chicken parts. Its slogan is intriguing too:


"Fresh" that is also "frozen"? I guess that's possible -- if Hell freezes over.

Some ads provoke one to push their claim to a logical conclusion:


So, drop one dress size after 20 minutes. What will happen after 40 minutes? After 80 minutes?

This headline too sounds more like an instruction:


The meaning takes on a different (and the correct) tone with just a simple change: "Criticise ministers but don't sling mud: Shanmugam".

------------------------------------------------------

Finally, cows -- like us -- do have navels (I suppose). But this mock-up of a cow must have come from the navy!...


Here's a little snippet from my past my daughters might not know of... I briefly worked in the frozen meats section of a supermarket (Fitzpatrick's... long, long gone from the local scene). I lasted all of one week there before I quit, but I had to learn meat cuts such as those from bovines:


So, in the picture above, it should be "navel end", not "naval end" (correctly depicted in the diagram above). I do believe navy chaps call that (naval end) the stern of the ship. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment