Wednesday, August 8, 2012

No, Mr Adams, the answer is not 42 here in Singapore...

This year it is 47 here in Singapore.

And I am sure the "meaning of life (as pursued here in Singapore), the universe (as seen here in Singapore where seven in 10 people are myopic) and everything (as practised here from 'choping' for food centre seats to driving halfway across the island for the best $3 char kway teow)" will be 48 next year.

And it will be 49 in 2014, etc. You get the drift.

Let's get back to this year. The people who condition our minds to respond to cues (no, not the garmen; the even more suave marketing/advertising cabal!) are ready to imprint the number 47 on our receptive brain cells on this Aug 9 public holiday, as we sally forth with our wallets and our credit cards...



  






Oops! This last one must be living in the past, circa 2000.

Anyway, I can't fight it. I'm hoping the petrol stations will declare a 47% discount when I fill up after I have run around the island chasing after electric irons, foldable chairs, microwave ovens, TV sets, etc.

And I'm looking forward to 2065, when I can anticipate 100% discounts! Except that I don't expect to be around by then. Most people don't live till the age of 115.

No comments:

Post a Comment