Friday, August 2, 2013

When I grow up, I want to be...

A bug squasher!


I could not believe it when I saw the headline. Hey, litterbugs are humans, not insects!

A delivery (despatch) rider!


There's lots to look at in this job, it seems.

A bus captain!


I never made it pass the corporal rank in NS, so it's good to be a high-ranking bus captain. And I get the chance to become -- not a, but THE -- Chief Bus Captain (just as there's only one Chief of Defence Force). But wait a minute... the CDF has thousands of men under his command. An army captain has a company of soldiers to shout orders at. So what underlings does a bus captain have when he confidently strides up to his bus, settles in, hits the door cock (yes, it's called that; I don't know why), and toots the horn to let us waiting commuters know that we can now obediently "troop" onboard.

In the old days, we knew them as bus drivers. They did not need to be called "captains"; no one looked down on them (or dared to; they were often the grouchy sort). And I wonder how many of today's young people know that there were once bus conductors as well. I found online this blog writer who reminisced about those bygone days, of bus companies like Singapore Traction Company, Green Bus, Hock Lee, Tay Koh Yat, etc, all with the two-man crew of bus driver and bus conductor:

http://wwwyeohongeng.blogspot.sg/2011/07/my-experience-with-bus-transport-in-50s.html

From the blog above were these photos which triggered my (now fond) memories of the conductor coming round with the familiar "click, click, click" sound before a ticket was issued...



---------------------------------------------

Finally, just what is a dish technician?




No comments:

Post a Comment