Saturday, February 28, 2015

A matter of journalism 101.

My eyes tire more easily these days, so I can't read the newspapers as thoroughly as before. But I am sure seasoned journalists will, like me, have immediately spotted the fundamental error in this ST story (Feb 28) below. A pity, because the copy is otherwise informative and well-written, with most everything else in place:





So what is wrong with this story? It did not supply the answer to the vital "WHERE (in Singapore)?" question.

I am not familiar with the reporter's name so she must be new. If so, the fault lies with poor supervision and senior-level checks. As I have said before, so many eyes checking but how many are really looking?

The temple, beautifully restored,  is a heritage site. These links provide more information and photos:

http://www.thianhockkeng.com.sg/aboutus.html

http://www.yoursingapore.com/see-do-singapore/culture-heritage/places-of-worship/thian-hock-keng-temple.html

No comments:

Post a Comment