Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A discovery field trip to Teachers' Estate...

It all began with my clicking on this insing.com story:


http://news.insing.com/tabloid/housing-estate-in-yio-chu-kang-has-unusual-literary-theme/id-58743f00

I had always known that there is a residential enclave called Teachers' Housing Estate, and that its very name is suggestive of its history. But I have never been there! I am so glad I read the account above, including the choice of literary figures for the quaint and charming estate's street names:


The insing.com report also mentioned that:

In particular, there is a row of shophouses where longtime shopkeepers have been plying their trade for years. Apart from a laundry shop, there is an egg-seller and a bakery, Thong Huat Breads and Cakes Manufactory, which was there when Wong moved into the estate 35 years ago. The bakery still makes bread the traditional way on its premises, where old-style loaves have their burnt tops shaved away before they are sliced and packed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That did the trick! Camera in hand, I sallied into Teachers' Estate!...





And of course there was that row of shophouses! A few shops were shuttered, though...



But the bakery was open. And look how the freshly baked bread loaves were cooled (cool, man!)...




I enjoyed my meandering there (even though it was a scorching just-after-noon) and ended my "field trip" by popping into "La Pizzaiola", an Italian pizzeria nestled among the shops -- for a thick long black coffee. I'll be back there for dinner some other time!

No comments:

Post a Comment