Friday, May 10, 2013

Ad-tention, it's the weekend!

It's time for some TGIF humour. Nick sent this link titled "37 Things You'll Only Find Funny If You're British":

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/things-youll-find-funny-if-youre-british

Well, I found most of the items funny (and I'm obviously not a Brit). My favourite one was No 19, which showed a prop-up signboard outside a pub...


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I'll continue with my series on ads recently seen in the newspapers...


 Cash-rich Singaporeans are being lured to buy property in choice British locales. This ad above is one of those. But look at the smaller heading: "Located just moments from the London Eye and Big Ben". So, tell me, how long is that in, say, minutes? And, by the way, we are not told if one has to walk or bicycle or use some kind of motorised transport; but then that's moot in this case. The choice of "moments" reminded me too about that riddle I once posted here...

"Once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years."

Now look at this ad for a local property:


Kudos to it! It is unambiguous.

I also like this Canon camera ad. Having a curious mind is so important to our getting more aware of the world we live in:


On the issue of curiosity, I hope Singaporeans -- especially those with young children -- have read this commentary article in today's ST (May 10):


   Some kind folks have put it up online, so do read it!

http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2013/05/children-are-key-to-natures-future.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+WildsingaporeNews+(wildsingapore+news)#.UY0mQSIZ5jo

I found these two extracts below particularly germane:



I hope I have done my part to impart curiosity about the natural world to my two daughters, now grown up, when they were young children. I hope they remember the day I realised they had no idea what a rubber seed looked like. So my wife and I took them to the Botanic Gardens to search for seeds on the ground. Yes, we did find them. So, L and L, remember this?...


No comments:

Post a Comment