Friday, May 17, 2013

From one 'I quit' letter to another...

There's a Hokkien expression, "Chia pah siew eng".  Literally, it means "having eaten, with nothing to do". As an idiom, it means "someone is so idle and free that he/she ponders/waxes about trivial matters". And so Singaporeans awoke one morning to find that Singa the Courtesy Lion has quit. It was obviously a publicity stunt and the right response should be "Who cares!"

Having pointed a finger (and a thumb) at those who got all excited about it (the "chia pah siew eng" crowd), I realised that three fingers were pointing back at me. So, guilty as charged, I join the fray. Here's insing.com's story:

http://news.insing.com/tabloid/singa-lion-resigns-courtesy-kindness-mascot/id-c5743f00

And here's the supposed letter that Singa wrote:


At least one company, ice cream maker Walls, has since come up with a cute ad:


There was a suggestion that local comedian Gurmit Singh take over. What, so the new mascot will be Singha the Keke Heehee Lion?

---------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I'd rather this whachamacallit (I'm not even sure of its gender) write a resignation letter:


Maybe I should help pen a resignation letter for it:

Dear tourists in Singapore,
I resign! After all these years, I now have a crisis of identity.

You know, they say "If it looks like a duck and if it walks like a duck, then it's a duck". Do I look like a lion from top to bottom? Or do I look like a fish from top to bottom? See!

I can neither prowl my domain like the King of the Beasts nor can I mightily swim the Seven Seas!

Instead, you guys happily snap pictures of Franken-me spouting emptiness, and sending back home the attachments with a "Wish you were here!"  Sigh... (when I should be letting forth a majestic roar).

So, there, I resign! This nimble little fella below, always achieving whatever it sets its sights on -- and doing so above its weight -- should take my place. I am sure some creative artistic type will be able to come up with a suitable stylised mascot design for our local dragonfly (note: over 120 species have been spotted in Singapore).


No comments:

Post a Comment