Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lost in translation (cont'd)/Why low interest rate may be detrimental...

Lost in translation (continued)...

Wish I had my camera with me. On the bus on my way to work, I saw a van pass by. It had this livery, in big capital letters, on its side panel:

BIG ASS FANS

Okay... why tell the rest of us? It reminds me of this very, very politically incorrect parody of the hauntingly beautiful song sung by Roberta Flack (1969):

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Base."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Strange exchanges may also take place in court, like this one, where the prosecutor and the accused found themselves "lost in translation"...

In the same court case... 

Imagine, while in a lovelorn moment, writing "I will be 15,884km away"! Why not go the full distance and add a few decimal places. But I suspect it was some silly person in the newsroom doing a conversion from the imperial measurement (miles).

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is very interesting, indeed!


But it's not what you think. This other picture, set above it, makes the context clear (there were two events at Hong Lim Park aka "Speakers' Corner" on Saturday)...


This last one below (the picture caption, that is) gives the wrong impression about the baby's, ahem... oh, go figure!


The correct phrasing should be "expecting their baby".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm done with today's levity segment. It is this serious commentary in ST (May 2) that I want to highlight:





No comments:

Post a Comment