Saturday, May 3, 2014

Drawing 'L' for pistol, and other stuff that drew a blank...

The best story in today's ST (May 3) is this interview with ballet doyen Goh Lay Kuan. Reporter Goh Chin Lian has done an excellent job:


Reading it, I admire her indomitable spirit. These two excerpts below recount two vivid incidents, impishly told with ironic humour...




________________________________________________________

I have also been collecting a few ads which I believe were not meant to be funny but the ambiguity of their intended message made them... well, go off-target!...


If the intended message of this ad above -- in the style of an optician's eyecheck chart -- was "Clear vision and (a) sharp focus equal success", it didn't work with me. I read it as "Blurry vision and blurred focus equal...".

As for this one below, is the stress on sofa bed lovers or sofa bed lovers?


This ad went for the upside-down strategem to attract eyeballs...


But is the price of this particular item marked down to $88?...


Hmmm... every part of the (male) chicken is used!...


Finally, most Singaporeans may not find this ad below odd. I do, because to me (and I am sure many non-Singaporeans especially people from the United States), a parking lot is a carpark (in British usage) with many parking spaces. So, 1,200 parking lots? Wow!!..



No comments:

Post a Comment