Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Spirits of the times...

A few of us were at Spanish restaurant Serenity in VivoCity. This item on its drinks list caught my eye:


Alcohol that's 80 per cent proof! No wonder it will "Make You Fly to SPAIN!!!"

And I thought Taiwanese kaoliang (sorghum wine) at between 40 and 65 per cent proof was bad enough. I've also tried Greek ouzo and Turkish raki... very strong at between 40 and 50 per cent proof.

So I checked online and came across this article, "Top 10 Most Potent National Drinks":

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-most-potent-national-drinks.php

Yup, it lists Absinthe as the No 1 Killer Liquor (the article gave the honour to the Czech version, though).

-----------------------------------------------

At another meal, Tom shared a newly sourced Australian Shiraz, The Hedonist. It must have been the "big buxom" promise on the label that caught his eye:


--------------------------------------------

As for beer, being a Singaporean, Tiger lager is of course my favourite. But, with all the recent tussle over the local brewery and Dutch company Heineken taking over the brand, I wonder if we can still call Tiger a Singaporean brand in future?

One beer my wife and I enjoyed when we were in Estonia was this one, Saku:


----------------------------------------------------

Finally, this energy drink below is non-alcoholic but apparently it packs a wallop, and even promotes "evil", some Catholic Poles claim:


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/9472340/Demon-energy-drink-can-promote-evil.html

No comments:

Post a Comment