Wednesday, March 27, 2013

'Your grandfather road' revisited.

There is a Singlish colloquialism, "Oi, your grandfather road, ah?" This is uttered when you are impeding/blocking/hindering (usually unintentionally) someone else on the street or even on the street's sidewalk. This quaint expression has also been made legendary by the "Sticker Lady", who has now been charged (together with a companion) for a series of so-called graffiti she became famous for:






Hmm, she had one relative named Mr Enggor and another named Mr Telegraph? Anyway, from my own "research", if ever I have grandchildren and I want them to truthfully say "Yes, this is my grandfather's road", I have two options:

First, to do a deed poll and change my given name to "How Sun". Here's why:


I'll then just simply relocate to the area above (vicinity of Upper Serangoon/Upper Paya Lebar).

Secondly, I'll relocate even further away -- overseas. There is a suburb in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, with the street name "Howsan Street".

But why bother with all that hassle? I have just discovered that there is a building named after me!...



So my (future) grandchildren can point to that building and say, "That's my grandfather's building!" (in a manner of speaking of course, unless I become a multi-millionaire and buy over that commercial building just to own it).

------------------------------------------------------------

I came across this snippet recently:



Lorong 32! That was where I lived for a long time. Wah lau, I could have been jogging over a buried bomb relic. How many more such relics are there? For sure, the newspapers report such finds now and then. Maybe that's why there is now such a course:


The ad above appeared today (March 27), on the same day this news item appeared:


Indeed, it is a reminder that Jemaat Islamiah, in its heyday soon after 9/11, tried to blow up key places in Singapore.

---------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at this picture:


Now read the caption story that came with it...


What a letdown, what a damp squib! Here's a dramatic centrepiece picture of what is clearly the mangled remains of the bombed-out vehicle and the caption all but ignored it. Journalism was not always this slipshod.

Finally, I found this old cartoon...


No comments:

Post a Comment