Thursday, October 17, 2013

Memorabilia

Today I'm 63, and a retiree (haha, yet another "ee" word). Yesterday, I switched off my desk computer for the last time...




I had left ST in 1991 and returned in 2007. There was an  "in the beginning", in the 1970s:


This old 1970s picture (courtesy of S. Uthaman; everyone of course called him Superman) showed me at one end of the "subs' horseshoe". Next to me was S. Yogendran; Teo Lye Seng was the "slotman" (chief sub). At the "backbench" were Mr Singam (we always addressed him as that) and Walter Seow. They conceptualised and "drew up" the front page and the local news pages.

I had a good run before I left ST in 1991. I won two Headline of the Year awards (1984 and 1989) and I was told when I returned in 2007 that my record had been equalled by one other person (from BT, not ST). Our record has not been broken.






Too bad I never got to score that hattrick. But that's life. (Many thanks to Alan John, Susan Low and the library team for their help in retrieving the old clippings/transcripts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment