Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Twerks or not, mind your language!

I finally "retired", today. I went to the office and returned stuff in my possession. The form I was given -- to get the relevant signatures -- said: "All SPH properties must be returned by the resignee."

Resignee? That makes SPH the resigner? Hey, I'm retiring, not resigning, so SPH should be the retirer! What other silly "ee" words have cropped up recently? I spotted this one:


What's wrong with "award winner"?

Meanwhile, according to Robin Thicke, it was Miley Cyrus who was his twerker:

      
I have a list of other "ee" words which I'll blog more on another time. For today, I think the story du jour is a delightful commentary in TODAY (Oct 16) by Ms Indranee Rajah, the Senior Minister of State for Education and Law:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/excuse-my-bad-its-grammar-twerk



Ironically, even as Ms Rajah was waxing lyrical about how the rules of grammar need to be upheld in formal writing or speech -- hence, "My Bad" is bad grammar (which I agree, having previously blogged disapprovingly about it -- TODAY allowed a grammatically bad headline next to her commentary (even if the offending phrase was set within quote marks)...


As I noted, Ms Rajah's piece makes for refreshing reading and I hope she writes more commentaries on the uses and abuses of the English language. She is of course a policy maker; hence, I wonder if this passage below. seemingly in support of Singlish, goes against the official grain:


Also, I find her choice of "grammar Grinch" interesting. The more usual phrase is "Grammar Nazi":


One quibble here...

  
...strictly speaking, should it not be "grammatical rules"? (Headlines are a different matter; it's okay to write "grammar rules" -- or even "grammar twerks" -- in such cases.)

Finally, Ms Rajah got this wrong: the song "Teach Your Children" is neither written/composed nor sung by the Bee Gees....


It is work of Graham Nash and sung by Crosby, Stills and Nash (CSN). She obviously does not know the song and may have been confused by an album (from the movie S.W.A.L.K) which featured a host of Bee Gee songs and a singular track ("Teach Your Children") by CSN.

To wrap up, here's the song, sung here only by Crosby and Nash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jys1awS0K1k

No comments:

Post a Comment