Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Headlines.

The 2015 Australian Open is exciting tennis fans everywhere. I do not follow the sport so this ST headline below (Jan 28) puzzled me:


I got the humble pie part but "bagel"? Google to the rescue...


So that's it! I found this other headline (The Times of South Africa):


Ah, but that's not all. There's also the "double bagel":


New York Times
Still on sports headlines, this one from ST falls flat and is certainly not in any masterclass:

____________________________________________________

I was also puzzled by this ST money page headline (Jan 28):


One test for the lay reader is: Does the headline work for me? Nope. The summary for this story has an easily understood headline that is clear and unpretentious:

_______________________________________________

ST's summary page today also has this very nicely crafted headline:

__________________________________________________

Finally, I am posting this ST Forum page letter (Jan 28) without comment (save the circled words which reflect stuff I had previously written about in this blog regarding the Pioneer Generation scheme):


No comments:

Post a Comment