Saturday, June 28, 2014

What the small print reveals, to be hit by a double whammy, and a great headline...

I thought I understood this "infobox" in ST (June 28, page one)...


...it said explicitly: "Transitional subsidies for everyone, over four years".

On an inside page was this table...


But I found the explanatory note in small print puzzling...


Huh? "Those with homes with an Annual Value of above $21,000 will not receive subsidies." So not all Singapore citizens will receive the transitional subsidies, despite the preceding sentence in the explanatory note above?

I am sure there are many Singapore citizens who have worked hard for long years and now live in such homes but have retired and no longer have an income (ie, in terms of regular wages).

I also "understood" an earlier table, published last month...


So, from the above, even the qualifying millionaires and billionaires are entitled to the generous Pioneer Generation Chas. If I am wrong, I await correction.

________________________________________________________

Still on what the fine print says, I found the bold-print claim in this ad attention-grabbing, to say the least...


The claim above is supposedly backed up in the very tiny print:


How tiny? Here's the complete ad:


I don't understand how surveys for commercial purposes work so I am not qualified to comment on the veracity of such claims. I have to leave it at that.

___________________________________________________

I started writing this blog when I turned 60. I had become a sexagenarian!...


Call me "sexy" for short, I had quipped. Now this Volvo ad is stealing my "idea"!...


But it's okay. Great minds think alike.

_______________________________________________________

This other car ad gave me ideas...






__________________________________________________

I don't think the copy writer for this ad below knows the meaning of "whammy", let alone "double whammy"!...


Here's what the Merriam-Webster says:

A double whammy (noun) is a situation that is bad in two different ways: a situation in which two bad conditions exist at the same time or two bad things happen one after the other.

______________________________________________________

I'd rather wrap up with something nice to say, so I'll like to commend this excellent sports page headline in ST (June 28) for its clever play on words:


I will not be blogging tomorrow (Sunday, June 29) as I will be coming home very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment