Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Funny stuff and ironic stuff...

Mr Brown put this picture of a funny label on his Facebook page (thanks, Angie)...


Angie passed this on too...


And if you are looking for the meaning of life, here it is...


____________________________________________________________

The unintended meaning of this TODAY headline (July 8) left me wondering if a war had already started between China and Japan!...


We were earlier told about a "government contracting model". I could not figure out how contracting the size of the government would lead to a more efficient public bus system...


Now it seems that the label has been changed to "bus contracting model". But I thought more buses are being put on the road?? I guess the headline below makes sense, though. Fewer buses will of course lead to fare hikes!...


Meanwhile, ST decided to reduce the once mighty Royal Navy ("Britannia Rules the Waves!") to just a little royal navy...



 ____________________________________________________________________

Okay, levity aside. Both the IRAS and the Association of Banks in Singapore have replied to one ST Forum writer's concern about the justification for banks taking depositors' money to pay the latter's unpaid taxes:

  
I thought the IRAS' reply was reasonable, and it answered an important question to me: whether such a practice was adopted in other countries (apart from countries like North Korea).

_________________________________________________________________

Finally, I thought there was some irony in this story, if an anecdote I was told was true...


I was in Japan in June last year and my guide at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum told me something quite astonishing. Pointing to the proximity fuze assembly that triggered the "Little Boy" atomic bomb's explosion over Hiroshima on Aug 6, 1945, she said that that crucial item was made in Japan! It had been selected by the Americans because it was deemed to be the most reliable among alternatives at the time. True? I would not know but if  so, it would have been most ironic...




No comments:

Post a Comment