How this pioneer generation is defined will give everyone an idea of its size. Political observers will be watching how vocal this generation will be, once it has been identified, in articulating its interests.
Meanwhile, someone sent me this supposed eight-point memo titled "Patriotic Retirement Plan", to the Australian prime minister, and penned by a group of "grumpy old folk of Australia":
Dear Mr. Abbott, as the official replacement for Mr Rudd...
Please find below our suggestion for fixing Australia 's economy.
Instead of giving billions of dollars to car companies & other business that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan...
You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:
There are about 10 million people over 50 in the Aussie work force.
Pay them $1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
1) They MUST retire.
Ten million job openings -- Unemployment fixed.
2) They MUST buy a new Australian car.
Ten million cars ordered -- Car industry fixed.
3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -- Housing crisis fixed.
4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university -- Crime rate fixed.
5) They MUST buy A$100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week -- and there's your money back in duty/tax etc.
6) Instead of stuffing around with the carbon emissions trading scheme that makes us pay for the major polluters, tell the greedy bastards to reduce their pollution emissions by 75% within 5 years or we shut them down.
7) Cut down on pollies perks -- they earn enough money to pay for their own petrol, food, drinks, airfares for their wives & families like all other hard working Aussies do. We pay big money but we still get MONKEYS.
8) No government credit cards for pollies -- let them get their own. Then they will be more careful about how they use it and pay up on time so as not to incur interest charges.
It can't get any easier than that!
P.S. If more money is needed, have all Members of Parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances.
It is time for us grumpy old folk of Australia to speak up!