Monday, October 27, 2014

Body-part idioms.

Organ Recital

This thespian's performance, according to ST, is so stellar it is BOTH heart-stopping (electrifying) ...


...and gut-twisting, all in the same play!


But I have a problem with "gut-twisting". I am not sure what it means. The idiom I am familiar with is "gut wrenching" which means "causing mental or emotional anguish" (Merriam-Webster).

I think, while Mr Adrian Pang would be flattered by any reference to his "heart stopping" performance, I doubt if he wants to be known for a "gut twisting" or "gut wrenching" performance. Maybe he might if he is playing the part of Lecter Hannibal.

Sub-editors should be careful with their choice of idioms.

Anyway, I think many of us do pepper our conversations or writings with such so-called "body-part idioms".  Run through this list of 90 such idioms and you will likely spot several that you have used lately...

https://www.englishclub.com/ref/Idioms/Body/

I like some of the interesting interpretations of body-part idioms I found online:



_______________________________________________________

Glaucoma: Be like Bono, and keep those sunglasses on you?


I have glaucoma too and I wear sunglasses only when I am outdoors and the sun is out. If Bono wears his shades even when indoors, am I missing something?

It seems that Bono has a point. This glaucoma website says that:

Glaucoma can make eyes highly sensitive to light and glare, with some glaucoma medications exacerbating the problem even further.

http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/a-guide-to-sunglasses.php

Well, until I feel discomfort indoors from the artificial lighting, I won't be doing a Bono. I won't want to knock into the furniture or step on the dog!

___________________________________________

Still on sunlight's glare, I love the way this guy (Zach Galifianakis) has a way with words:


____________________________________________________

Finally, if you want some more tombstone humour, check this out!...

http://www.teamjimmyjoe.com/2011/10/31-bad-odd-and-funny-but-very-real-tombstones/#.VE57x_mUdXY

No comments:

Post a Comment