Friday, October 31, 2014

Letting your fingers do the talking...

As I write this, it will  be my 1,341st blog entry since I penned my first post on Oct 31, 2010. I have decided to take a long break (like Killer, to smell the roses), so any future entries will be occasional and no longer daily (yes, I have managed to do so, with the exception of vacations or illness).

I think it would be most appropriate to wax on finger gestures, starting with this one involving all the fingers and thumb:


Don't you think it is very versatile? It might be a "Hello", a "Hello, in case you don't know it, I'm alive!" (if you are being ignored), and a "Bye, bye". If waved in a back and forth horizontal circle, it says "No more!" And if you are drowning, it would be a handy gesture.

How about the thumb? It is useful for hailing a taxi or thumbing a lift. While there may be other thumb gestures, the two well-known ones are these:



One-finger gestures? This one is best used when the other guy is not bigger than you...


Earlier this year, when his fortunes were riding high, F1 driver Sebastian Vettel used this not-the-middle-finger variation of the one-finger gesture....



Sir Winston Churchill made this two-finger gesture famous:


And recently, tennis player Tommy Robredo made this gesture, known as the "2-gun salute", after he lost a match to Andy Murray...



I am told these Japanese-inspired gestures are referred to as the "kawaii" -- they are supposed to make the "gesturers" look super-cute!...



The Hunger Games' three-fingered defiant gesture inspired Thai protesters (earlier this year) to do likewise:



The only four-fingered gesture I can think of is when you need to order four coffees, get a table for four, and so forth.

You can use finger gestures to represent the Marina Bay Sands building...


Finally, Usain Bolt celebrates his victories on the running track with his famous signature pose:


No comments:

Post a Comment